Sunday, December 27, 2009

Merry Christmas!

I am really quite poor at posting on here, but hey - I'm good for one every four months or so. Usually, like letters and poetry, it becomes glaringly apparent my need to write.

Today, this need to write made itself known after a visit from a friend and colleague. She called to bring me many homemade cakes, a can of beer, a pot of soup, and some fruit. For some minutes we went over how I should heat the soup, let it cool on the balcony, and tomorrow eat it. Did I mention she brought me a homemade cozonac? (fruitcake)

This came tonight after an overnight in Cluj. My friends' friend put us up. Dana and Adina are old childhood friends. Adina like Dana has a young child. Raluca is in kindergarden and is slightly older then Andy who is still in preschool. Raluca was very excited to have an American visiting. She asked if we Americans were responsible for the financial crisis.

We had a great evening dancing to Christmas tunes with the kids, eating dinner and cakes. It is really a beautiful thing to see parents so in love with their children.

Today we went to the mall. The kids got to go on a carousel, play in the kiddie gym where are ball pits, mats, and such. Afterwards, a lunch at McDonald's with Happy Meal.

We left Adina's returning home. At Dana's she heated me some vegetarian sarmale (stuffed cabbage leaves) that was left over from our Christmas dinner to take home.

I am just so humbled by the warmth and generosity of my Romanian friends. Romanians are so giving it's incredible. If you want homemade food, copious amounts of it, homemade brandy and wine pushed on you, warmth and cheer, come to Romania.

I love Romania.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment